Hunger rumble audibly from my stomach.
I had committed to not eat until the stomach finally told me that food was a priority. Letting the body reset for the new year.
so I put a LARGE cast iron Skillet on the stove, then started chopping, dicing, dashing and finally sat down to review this weeks mail.
Stomach was trying to leap to the kitchen as the aroma of cooked veggies, meats and herbs mingle in the kitchen, dancing over the stove and pouring out the kitchen.
- 3 Tbsp - Olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth (you can use vegetable or beef if you wish)
- 2 cups carrots- chipped -Fresh
- 3 (8") baby zucchini - coined - Fresh
- 1 cup - thick cut spiral cut deli ham - diced (Gluten free, MSG Free)
- 1 Tbsp - Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce (gluten free of course)
- 1 Tbsp Dried Parsley
- 1 Medium Onion - diced (quantity to your liking)
- 3 cloves garlic - crushed (quantity to your liking)
- 1 Tbsp dried red pepper chips
- 1 Tsp dried oregano - I wanted t pungency of dried
- 1 Tsp freshly ground Black/Red/White Pepper
The broth and carrots are simmered for 5 minutes while the rest of the ingredients are diced and coined.
While I whistle with great joy that the skillet is already seasoned so well... I throw in the carrots, the coined zucchini, the garlic and onions, and the herbs.
The ham goes in last five minutes just to warm it, otherwise it gets overcooked and tough.
Now, this might sound strange, but the sweet ham and carrots mix with the dancing oregano, and the taste is certainly strong.... but to soften the taste, no... add to the taste, a little sour cream will be added at the very end to make the juices into a nice sauce. You will find the dish, simple and goes well with many starch choices.
My boyfriend and I are enjoying rice noodle bowls and trying different soup recipes on our weekends together. The fluffy gluten free bread works great to sop up the provincial juices, or simple croutons on top for a elegant look.
Whatever your choice. I am sure that this little one skillet "throw-together" will be enjoyed during the snow day we are having.